One of many first jobs I had in highschool was working at a daycare. I used to be one of many leads within the afternoon preschool room, however ultimately began working with toddlers and infants. It was an AMAZING studying expertise for the long run and I beloved each minute of it. After highschool I took up a couple of nanny jobs, which allowed me to primarily grow to be part of a brand new household.
Anytime I babysat on the weekends, I’d have baking events with the children. All the things from chocolate chip cookies to brownies and cake. Oh and this banana bread was all the time a favourite. One afternoon I made a decision to make the children these more healthy monster cookies with out all the surplus butter and sugar. I wished them to have a deal with that also felt like an actual deal sort of cookie, however had extra protein, complicated carbs and wholesome fat.
The decision? The youngsters LOVED them! In reality, they began calling them ‘dinosaur’ cookies as a substitute of monster cookies (cute, huh?). After I would babysat each different Saturday, they’d beg me to make this monster cookie recipe. In all honesty, I kinda forgot these cookies for a couple of years in order that’s most likely why I by no means gave you the recipe.
However lastly, right here we’re! I’m sharing this chewy, more healthy monster cookie recipe with you right now in hopes that you just’ll make it quickly. Good for Halloween, too!
Components in wholesome monster cookies
These scrumptious flourless monster cookies use tremendous easy substances that you just most likely have in your pantry. After all, I nonetheless saved the chocolate chips and sweet items as a result of it’s not a monster cookie with out them. I additionally added nuts for some extra taste and wholesome fat and shredded coconut for superb texture. Be at liberty to get inventive with the mix-ins, too! Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Peanut butter: use an all pure, drippy peanut butter that’s made simply with peanuts + salt. You can even use an all pure crunchy peanut butter or any nut or seed butter you’d like.
- Butter: for just a little additional moisture. You should use common butter, vegan butter, ghee or coconut oil.
- Brown sugar: the scrumptious molasses taste of brown sugar makes these cookies irresistible. You can even use coconut sugar.
- Eggs: you’ll want 2 eggs for this recipe. I additionally assume that flax eggs will work high quality, simply be aware that they’ll be a bit extra fragile.
- Vanilla: for just a little increase of flavor.
- Oats: be sure you use rolled oats (not metal lower) and be at liberty to make use of a gluten free variety.
- Cinnamon: I like so as to add a pinch of cinnamon for a comfy taste however that is elective.
- Baking soda: in order that these cookies bake correctly.
- Combine-ins: I packed these infants with chocolate chips, M&M’s, shredded coconut and chopped pecans. However you may actually add any mix-ins you want!
If you happen to don’t wish to use M&M’s strive utilizing the Little Secrets candy as a substitute. They’re actually, actually good and don’t use any corn syrup, dyes or synthetic flavors.
What makes these monster cookies wholesome?
- They’re filled with protein & wholesome fat: peanut butter makes up most of this recipe so that you get in protein & wholesome fat for just a little nourishment with out utilizing tons of additional oil. Every cookie has virtually 5g of protein — whoo hoo!
- They’re flourless: that’s proper, these wholesome monster cookies are made with none flour. The peanut butter and oats maintain collectively very, very nicely even with none conventional flour. They’re additionally gluten free so long as you utilize licensed gluten free rolled oats!
- They’ve a lift of fiber: the rolled oats in these cookies provides an exquisite increase of fiber for an excellent satisfying deal with.
Customise your wholesome monster cookies
- Make them vegan: strive utilizing a flax egg to make these vegan! They simply may be just a little extra fragile so allow them to relaxation on the baking sheet a bit longer earlier than eradicating them. You’ll additionally want to make use of dairy free/vegan chocolate chips and vegan chocolate candies as a substitute of M&M’s.
- Scale back the sugar: in the event you’re watching your sugar consumption, I’ve directions for simply decreasing the brown sugar. You can even used an unrefined sweetener like coconut sugar, and might all the time omit the sweet items.
- Select your fav add-ins: conventional monster cookies have each M&M’s and chocolate chips in them, however you may be at liberty so as to add your favourite nuts, dried fruit, and even do a chocolate drizzle. YUM.
The way to retailer and freeze monster cookies
- To retailer: be at liberty to maintain these wholesome monster cookies in an hermetic container at room temperature for 1-2 days, then switch to the fridge or freezer.
- To freeze: ensure the cookies are fully cooled, after which switch them to an hermetic container lined with wax or parchment paper or freezer-safe bag earlier than storing them within the freezer for as much as 2 months. I like to put them in a single layer to keep away from any cookies breaking. As soon as able to eat, merely thaw out at room temperature and luxuriate in!
Extra wholesome cookie recipes to strive:
See the right way to make the wholesome monster cookies
I hope you’re keen on these wholesome flourless monster cookies! If you happen to make them be sure you go away a remark and a score so I understand how you favored them. Get pleasure from, xo!
Wholesome Flourless Monster Cookies
Unimaginable wholesome monster cookies filled with peanut butter taste, chocolate chips, coconut, chocolate sweet items and nuts. These flourless monster cookies are a healthful tackle a childhood basic you already know and love! Simple to make and nice for customizing.
- Moist substances:
pure creamy or chunky peanut butter (solely peanuts + salt)
melted butter or ghee (melted coconut oil will even work)
packed brown sugar or coconut sugar (may also scale back to 1/2 cup with good outcomes!)
- Dry substances:
gluten free quaint rolled oats
- Elective: ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- For the combo ins:
M&M’s, plus ¼ cup extra for topping cookies
darkish chocolate chips
chopped pecans or walnuts
unsweetened shredded coconut (not the large flakes)
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a big bowl combine collectively the moist substances till clean: peanut butter, melted butter/ghee, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
Subsequent stir within the oats, baking soda and cinnamon. Lastly add in all your mix-ins: M&Ms, darkish chocolate chips, nuts and shredded coconut.
Use a big cookie scoop to scoop rounded balls of dough onto ready baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of area between them to unfold. Add a couple of M&Ms on prime of every dough ball. If you happen to like fats cookies, don’t flatten the dough. If you happen to like thinner cookies, use your arms to softly flatten the tops of the dough earlier than baking.
Bake for 10-13 minutes till edges are barely golden brown. Permit cookies to sit down on cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to complete cooling. This is a crucial step. Get pleasure from!
To make vegan: I recommend utilizing a flax egg; they only may be just a little extra fragile so allow them to relaxation on the baking sheet a bit longer earlier than eradicating them. You will additionally want to make use of dairy free/vegan chocolate chips and vegan chocolate candies as a substitute of M&M’s.
To make nut free: Strive subbing in sunflower seed butter or pumpkin seed butter. Typically sunflower seed butter causes baked items to show inexperienced FYI; they’re going to nonetheless be good to eat although.
To retailer: be at liberty to maintain these wholesome monster cookies in an hermetic container at room temperature for a couple of days, then switch to the fridge or freezer.
To freeze: ensure the cookies are fully cooled, after which switch them to an hermetic container lined with wax or parchment paper or freezer-safe bag earlier than storing them within the freezer for as much as 2 months. I like to put them in a single layer to keep away from any cookies breaking. As soon as able to eat, merely thaw out at room temperature and luxuriate in!
Servings: 20 cookies
Serving measurement: 1 cookie
Saturated fats: 3.6g