In case you’ve been following Bold Kitchen for a whilst you know that I like to share my household’s cozy and comforting Puerto Rican recipes. My mother and her dad and mom are all from Puerto Rico, so I grew up on their great recipes like selfmade empanadas, rice and beans, pozole and tostones. These recipes are pricey to my coronary heart and actually make the most effective consolation meals.
I even had our caterers make a couple of twists on my mother’s conventional recipes are our wedding ceremony!
I come again to those recipes time and time once more after I’m in search of one thing nourishing, cozy and nostalgic. At the moment I’m excited to share my mother’s recipe for arroz con gandules — one which I grew up consuming for lunches and dinners served with a few of our favourite sides.
Conventional arroz con gandules
As I discussed, arroz con gandules is a standard Puerto Rican dish and is made with rice, pigeon peas, sofrito, sazon and oftentimes pork. This rice dish is stuffed with unimaginable, warming flavors and is comparatively straightforward to make, particularly in massive batches, with the precise elements. It’s normally served throughout holidays like Christmas, however is loved all 12 months spherical!
What are pigeon peas?
Green pigeon peas are a staple in conventional arroz con gandules. They’re truly little beans utilized in Caribbean dishes, have a barely nutty taste, and are bought dried, contemporary or canned. Pigeon peas are a beautiful supply of protein, fiber and minerals like magnesium, potassium and manganese.
You may sometimes discover canned pigeon peas within the Hispanic part of your grocery retailer, which is what I exploit on this recipe.
Arroz con gandules: the important thing elements
My Puerto Rican grandparents handed down their arroz con gandules recipe to my mother, who then taught me all the suggestions and tips for making it from scratch. We maintain our recipe plant primarily based, but it surely’s straightforward to customise with elements you will have readily available. Right here’s are the elements of the dish and what you’ll must make it:
- Sofrito: in Spanish, sofrito means “sauce,” and that is what you’ll cook dinner the rice in. My model of sofrito is a mix of garlic, onion, inexperienced bell pepper, cilantro and tomato sauce. Some folks historically make sofrito with contemporary tomatoes and culantro, however that is how I’ve made it through the years.
- Sazon: the important thing flavors in arroz con gandules come from a seasoning known as sazon. You should buy packets or premade sazon seasoning or simply make your personal proper at dwelling with my recipe and tutorial!
- Inexperienced pigeon peas: utilizing pigeon peas is conventional in arroz con gandules, and why it’s typically known as “rice with pigeon peas.”
- Rice: I like to make use of white basmati rice on this recipe as a result of it’s tremendous gentle and fluffy when cooked.
- Water: you’ll want three cups of water to cook dinner the rice utterly with the sofrito and pigeon peas.
- Non-compulsory: as a result of my household doesn’t make our arroz con gandules with any pork merchandise, we regularly add sliced pimento-stuffed olives to our arroz con gandules for that salty, savory taste.
How you can swap the pigeon peas
In case you can’t discover pigeon peas the place you reside, you possibly can merely use common, inexperienced peas as an alternative. To take action:
- Use extra water. Enhance the water so that you’ve Three half cups complete.
- Add with the rice. Add frozen inexperienced peas with the rice after you carry the water to a boil.
- Proceed the recipe. That’s it! Then merely end the recipe as written.
DIY sazon seasoning
As I discussed, you possibly can both use packets of sazon seasoning or you possibly can simply make it from scratch with simply 6 spices! Get all of my suggestions and tips for making homemade sazon here.
Can I exploit a unique rice?
I might not advocate utilizing a unique rice on this arroz con gandules as a result of the cooking time can range significantly. For instance, brown rice can take as much as 45 minutes to cook dinner.
How you can make arroz con gandules
This scrumptious dish is simple to make in only one pot and excellent for serving a crowd.
- Make your sofrito. In a large pot you’ll begin by cooking down the onion, inexperienced pepper, cilantro and garlic, then including the tomato sauce and sazon.
- Add your pigeon peas. Subsequent, you’ll add the entire can of pigeon peas WITH the water that’s within the can. Don’t drain the pigeon peas first!
- Add water & rice. Lastly, pour within the water, carry it a boil, and stir within the rice. You’ll then wish to cowl your pot and simmer the rice till it’s good and tender.
- Garnish and serve. I wish to stir in sliced olives, then high my arroz con gandules with further contemporary cilantro and sliced avocado.
Serving & storing suggestions
What makes arroz con gandules so particular is that not solely are you able to add your favourite proteins to the dish, however you can even simply double it to serve an even bigger crowd! My household has added cooked kielbasa sausage, however beans, chickpeas and hen would all be scrumptious. I’ve linked extra recipes beneath!
To retailer: merely retailer any leftover arroz con gandules in airtight containers within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days.
In case you like this recipe, you’ll love
Get all of my globally inspired dishes here!
I hope you like my household’s arroz con gandules recipe! In case you make it you should definitely go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you appreciated it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Flavorful selfmade arroz con gandules, or Puerto Rican rice with pigeon peas! Discover ways to make my household’s tackle conventional arroz con gandules with easy elements, selfmade sofrito and sazon seasoning. The right straightforward pairing with your favourite proteins or selfmade tostones!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup very finely diced yellow onion
- 1/3 cup very finely diced inexperienced bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons (2 packets) sazon seasoning (see notice in recipe for find out how to make your personal)
- 1 (15 oz) can inexperienced pigeon peas** (see notice in recipe for a sub)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups basmati white rice
- Non-compulsory: ¼ cup pimento stuffed olives, sliced
Add olive oil to a medium pot and place over medium warmth. As soon as oil is scorching, add in onion, inexperienced pepper, cilantro and garlic. Saute till onions are translucent and inexperienced peppers soften, about 2-Four minutes. Convey warmth to medium-low and add tomato sauce, sazon and simmer for two minutes till sauce comes collectively.
Subsequent add in the whole can of pigeon peas (with the liquid — DO NOT DRAIN), and add Three cups of water, and convey to a boil. As soon as it boils, stir in 2 cups of rice, cowl, scale back warmth to low and simmer for 20 minutes or till rice is tender. Lastly stir in sliced olives, if utilizing.
Style rice and alter seasonings as mandatory, together with including extra salt.
Garnish with cilantro and some avocado slices — serve with tostones for those who’d like. Serves 6.
*IF YOU WANT TO MAKE HOMEMADE SAZON: this is a wonderful, flavorful choice to have at dwelling. For this complete recipe you’ll need the next: half tablespoon floor coriander, half tablespoon floor cumin, half tablespoon floor annatto seeds (or sub turmeric), half tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano and half tablespoon salt. For the rice you may want 1 tablespoon of this DIY sazon spice combination.
In case you don’t have pigeon peas, that are conventional, you need to use inexperienced peas as an alternative. Merely improve the water within the recipe by ½ cup (so that you’d have Three ½ cups complete). After you carry water to a boil (in step 2) you possibly can add 1 cup of frozen peas and the rice.
Servings: 6 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (primarily based on 6, with out olives)
Saturated fats: 0.2g