Random cravings. I get them on a regular basis. May very well be due to the truth that I’m pregnant, however in truth, I’m going by these bizarre phases the place I’ll eat the identical factor for a month straight. Does that ever occur to you?
Simply this previous month I’ve been obsessive about all issues made with buffalo sauce. Plus honeycrisp apples, blueberry bagels with jalapeno cream cheese, kale smoothies, veggies burgers, pineapple, greeok yogurt with strawberries, and naturally, my favourite little grain: quinoa!
Whereas quinoa appears and behaves like a grain, it’s truly a seed that comes from a flowering plant! It has been utilized in South American cooking for hundreds of years and extra just lately grew to become a “superfood” right here within the U.S.
Various kinds of quinoa
- Seeds. Quinoa seeds themselves are available in white, purple and black varieties, so that you’ll often see luggage labeled individually or as “tricolor quinoa” with all three. White quinoa takes the shortest period of time to cook dinner, adopted by purple quinoa after which black quinoa.
- Flour. You may as well make flour out of quinoa that’s an incredible, gluten free flour to bake with! Check out my AMAZING quinoa flour chocolate chip cookies.
- Flakes. Quinoa additionally is available in flakes, which simply signifies that the quinoa seeds have been pressed & rolled to look and act like a rolled oat. A good way to get pleasure from quinoa for breakfast!
Style & texture
- Style. Quinoa has a barely nutty style to it, which makes it good for including to your favourite dishes or just seasoning it with a number of primary flavors.
- Texture. As soon as cooked, quinoa has a fluffy and barely chewy texture like rice however is smaller in dimension like couscous. I take advantage of it in each candy & savory recipes!
Well being advantages of quinoa
Not solely is quinoa scrumptious & versatile, but it surely’s additionally stuffed with a spread of wonderful well being advantages!
- Gluten free. Quinoa is of course gluten free, making it an incredible complete grain various to these with gluten intolerances or allergy symptoms.
- Protein & fiber. One cup of cooked quinoa packs 8g of protein and 5g of fiber. Greater than common rice whereas being decrease in carbs and energy. Quinoa can be a whole protein, which implies it has all important amino acids that we are able to’t produce on our personal. Fairly spectacular for a plant!
- Nutritional vitamins & minerals. Quinoa additionally had a large amount of magnesium, iron, potassium and zinc that we might not get sufficient of. It’s additionally excessive in antioxidants in contrast to different grains.
- Blood sugar. Not like processed grains, quinoa has a low glycemic index and received’t spike your blood sugar. One thing that’s nice for staying full & glad with out crashing in a while.
One other factor that’s fantastic? Quinoa cooks in solely 15 minutes, which makes it good to retailer within the fridge and add to your weeknight dinner menu or toss in your lunch. After all, ensuring you know the way to correctly cook dinner quinoa will make your meals that a lot better.
How to cook dinner quinoa
Step 1: rinse your quinoa
You’re in all probability questioning why we rinse the quinoa first. Quinoa might be fairly bitter if you don’t correctly rinse it earlier than you cook dinner it as a result of it has a pure coating of a substance referred to as saponin that stops birds from consuming it. To rinse this off, merely place 1 cup quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse it a number of instances beneath cool water.
Step 2: use the proper cooking liquid & ratio
Begin with a 1:2 ratio: one half quinoa, two components water or different cooking liquid (hen broth, milk, and so on). I take advantage of 1 cup quinoa and a couple of cups of liquid, which is able to make about Three cups of cooked quinoa. If you need you’ll be able to double that to make a bigger batch. Utilizing totally different liquids brings a much bigger taste dimension to the quinoa, however water is nice too:
- Milk. Sometimes if I’m making breakfast quinoa, I cook dinner it in milk. I particularly love coconut milk!
- Broth. If I’m making it as a savory aspect dish, I’ll cook dinner my quinoa in a chicken or vegetable broth for a little bit of taste from the salt.
- Water. Cooking your quinoa in water will even work nice (and is what we’re utilizing on this tutorial).
Step 3: cook dinner the quinoa
In case you’ve ever questioned how lengthy to cook dinner quinoa, I’ve acquired the precise timing and tip for you! Right here’s how to do it:
- Add quinoa and water or broth to a pot and convey to a boil.
- As soon as boiling, cut back warmth to low, cowl, and let simmer for precisely 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes take away the pot from the warmth and let stand lined for an additional 5-10 minutes. No peeking!
Step 4: fluff the quinoa with a fork
The quinoa will pop upon cooking and increase. To assist separate the grains, use a fork and fluff the quinoa. Add in fruit, nuts, milk, spices, or no matter your coronary heart wishes, or serve it in one in every of these nice recipes under.
How to retailer cooked quinoa
Let the quinoa cool fully earlier than transferring it to an hermetic container. Then merely retailer it within the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Are you able to freeze cooked quinoa?
Really, sure! To freeze it merely let it cool fully after which place it in hermetic, freezer-friendly luggage or containers. To reheat it you’ll let it thaw within the fridge or at room temp earlier than microwaving it.
Scrumptious methods to use quinoa
When you’ve discovered how to make good quinoa, it’s time to inventive including it to superb recipes. Not solely is quinoa scrumptious in tons of various salads, sides and even pancakes, it’s additionally tremendous tasty by itself with a little bit of olive oil, salt & pepper and even some parmesan cheese and contemporary herbs. YUM. Listed below are extra recipes to strive:
In search of extra? Get all of our greatest quinoa recipes here!
I hope you like this simple, step-by-step tutorial on how to cook dinner quinoa! In case you do that technique be certain to go away a remark & a score so I understand how it turned out. Get pleasure from, xo!
How to Cook the Finest Fluffy Quinoa
Study precisely how to cook dinner quinoa on the stovetop and add it to your whole favourite recipes! With this step-by-step tutorial, you may find out how lengthy to cook dinner quinoa so it is good and fluffy, how to make it style good by itself and loads of new methods to use it. Our greatest quinoa recipes included!
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth of selection
Rinse your quinoa: place 1 cup quinoa in a nice mesh strainer and rinse it a number of instances beneath cool water.
Add quinoa and water or broth to a pot and convey to a boil. As soon as boiling, cut back warmth to low, cowl, and let simmer for precisely 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, take away the pot from warmth and let stand lined for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Subsequent, fluff quinoa with a fork and serve. Makes about Three cups of cooked quinoa.
To retailer: Let the quinoa cool fully earlier than transferring it to an hermetic container. Then merely retailer it within the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
To freeze: merely let it cool fully after which place it in hermetic, freezer-friendly luggage or containers. To reheat it you may let it thaw within the fridge or at room temp earlier than microwaving it.
Servings: Four servings
Serving dimension: 0.75 cups cooked quinoa
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats